The New Raith Rovers Thread

I don't believe Queens would have released him this week if they thought he might be signing for us. Sounds like he's got something else lined up, so that gives some credence to the Falkirk rumour.

I don't believe Queens would have released him this week if they thought he might be signing for us. Sounds like he's got something else lined up, so that gives some credence to the Falkirk rumour.

Although I like Bairdy, I'd rather we tried to sign someone who actually wanted to be here.

I honestly can't see him haivng decided to walk away from 18 months of secure employment unless he already had a very good idea that another club wanted him.

Yeah. I think what I meant was it sounds like he's got someone else lined up that isn't us.

Nah, yeah I totally agree. Got to assume it's Falkirk - you'd guess Kerr put in a word for him or something, and knowing that stomping his feet would get his way, simply copied Kerr to get out of his Queens contract.

No matter who Baird signs for (my money is on Falkirk too) he's not going to come out of this looking too good.

I'd expect the word conniving to be used in some context or another before the weeks out.

If safety were the only target this squad is easily good enough. Given the strength at the top of the league a rather lower points total than usual will keep you clear this season. Another two or three wins should do it.

That doesn't mean we definitely won't be looking to bring anyone in, but it's not obvious where, in particular, we'd be looking to strengthen. He's got three forwards to perm from, three wingers, four centre-mids, three centre-backs. Full-backs are the only area we're lacking cover, and he's seemed happy enough with that situation thus far.

Sorry for changing the subject, are we even looking to strengthen the squad. I really worry that Bert might be convinced the current team are gonna shoot us to safety.

Short of a twenty goal a season striker, a penalty box poacher, a midfield general, Something who can hold the ball and use it, a couple of maruading full backs and a blood and snotters Centre back?

In all honesty, we've got cover in every position, except full back, but even then, we've had that weakness from the start, and it wasn't deemed a priority. The only thing you could say is that none of our strikers are likely to score that many, yet trying to turn up a genuine quiality forward in the January window is a fairly hopeless task at the best of times - unless we end up bringing in a young player from the SPL reserves (which in turn will inspire all kinds of complaints about not giving our own youth a chance).

We don't necessarily need more players as such, though - arguably I'd say what we do need is to find a better balance in the midfield. You've got Scott and Callachan who are all action, dynamic headless chickens and you've got Moon and Fox, more measured, good positional sense, probably not quick enough as a unit. Somewhere in there is a pairing, or even a trio that will offer us the balance of covering pivot but able to support the forwards that the latter need to score more goals. nade and Stewart have proven before that if they get chances, they will score.

Edited by renton

In all honesty, we've got cover in every position, except full back, but even then, we've had that weakness from the start, and it wasn't deemed a priority. The only thing you could say is that none of our strikers are likely to score that many, yet trying to turn up a genuine quiality forward in the January window is a fairly hopeless task at the best of times - unless we end up bringing in a young player from the SPL reserves (which in turn will inspire all kinds of complaints about not giving our own youth a chance).

We don't necessarily need more players as such, though - arguably I'd say what we do need is to find a better balance in the midfield. You've got Scott and Callachan who are all action, dynamic headless chickens and you've got Moon and Fox, more measured, good positional sense, probably not quick enough as a unit. Somewhere in there is a pairing, or even a trio that will offer us the balance of covering pivot but able to support the forwards that the latter need to score more goals. nade and Stewart have proven before that if they get chances, they will score.

Agree with all of this ... I think our squad is fine minus full back cover, although Barr appears to be able to play left back, it would be nice to have another body in there ! A striker I would like, but again we have 3 & then Vaughen who doesn't appear to be anywhere near Murray's first team plans which is a shame as I'd like to see him having a run in the squad !

Regarding the bold, I actually think Callachan has been very impressive in his run in the side lately & I hope he is someone that remains there for the time being ... Hes young, will obviously be hungry to show what he can offer and certainly isn't a worse choice than Fox/Scott, even Moon has struggled to find his feet this season ... On that note though, I would like to see a Moon/Callachan combo at some point with Moon dropping, allowing Callachan to do the running !

Agree with all of this ... I think our squad is fine minus full back cover, although Barr appears to be able to play left back, it would be nice to have another body in there ! A striker I would like, but again we have 3 & then Vaughen who doesn't appear to be anywhere near Murray's first team plans which is a shame as I'd like to see him having a run in the squad !

Regarding the bold, I actually think Callachan has been very impressive in his run in the side lately & I hope he is someone that remains there for the time being ... Hes young, will obviously be hungry to show what he can offer and certainly isn't a worse choice than Fox/Scott, even Moon has struggled to find his feet this season ... On that note though, I would like to see a Moon/Callachan combo at some point with Moon dropping, allowing Callachan to do the running !

Don't get me wrong, I think Callachan has been pretty good during his run in the team, his style of play is built on his dynamism, same as Scott - they are quite similar and will chase things - often at the same time. Neither is a classic sitting midfielder, neither is positionally great. Moon is more measured but still quite combative (his use of the ball is generally a wee bit more imaginiatve as well). If anything, I wish Fox still had half a leg to run the length of himself, becuase he's the only sit in and knock it about kind of midfielder we have, he's just too slow at times to keep up with it though.

Edited by renton

I'd say technically there is cover of a sort in the full back slots but only at the expense of other areas,

Conroy and Hill have played left-back and I'm fairly sure Barr (and Fox) has had a game at right-back but any one of these moves would weaken other positions.

I'd be inclined to sign a striker/poacher and not worry about the fullback positions as at a push you could put 3 across the back and play a loaded midfield. Mind you this would mean GM throwing away the Largs coaching manual.