The New Raith Rovers Thread

Looking at the team we're assembling, it looks increasingly likely that we'll be playing 4-2-3-1. Currently, I think I'd go with:

McGurn

Thomson

Benedictus

Barr

McKeown

Callachan

McCord

Anderson

Vaughan

Megginson

Stewart/Wighton

Wighton is still only 17, is that correct? Don't think we can be expecting too much from him every week. Clearly the lad has got quality, but he'll likely be hot and cold so I think Stewart will start ahead of him, to begin with anyway.

I don't know much about Toshney or Benedictus, I can't say I remember them playing against us, so that's pretty much an unknown. Hoping Barr is fit for the start of the season, I've seen him in the gym a good few times recently, looks like he's training pretty hard so hopefully his groin sorts itself out in time. I'm quietly optimistic about us this year, having a young, quick side should hopefully be better to watch, clearly something McKinnon is going for.

I really don't think it would be fair at all to plonk Wighton up front on his own. Talented though he may be, he is only 17. Likewise, I don't think Vaughan or Stewart up front on their own would be a good idea either - they lack the attributes.

If we're going down that route, you have to put emphasis on the central player in the '3' playing further ahead and almost in the second striker role. Otherwise, we're at risk of whoever play being swamped out and our attacks down the middle breaking down continually. That would, of course, force us wide (though at least we have wingers).

We definitely have a lot of flexibility, which is good.

Edited by Michael W

I really don't think it would be fair at all to plonk Wighton up front on his own. Talented though he may be, he is only 17. Likewise, I don't think Vaughan or Stewart up front on their own would be a good idea either - they lack the attributes.

If we're going down that route, you have to put emphasis on the central player in the '3' playing further ahead and almost in the second striker role. Otherwise, we're at risk of whoever play being swamped out and our attacks down the middle breaking down continually. That would, of course, force us wide (though at least we have wingers).

We definitely have a lot of flexibility, which is good.

It's really just a question of emphasis, as it's not really playing Stewart (or Wighton) up by themselves - the way Vaughan and Stewart's partnership worked was with Vaughan dropping fairly deep anyway, his natural game is playing recessed between the midfield and up front. Even when playing a four man midfield, we tended to look more like a 4-4-1-1 with Stewart and Vaughan anyway.

It's really just a question of emphasis, as it's not really playing Stewart (or Wighton) up by themselves - the way Vaughan and Stewart's partnership worked was with Vaughan dropping fairly deep anyway, his natural game is playing recessed between the midfield and up front. Even when playing a four man midfield, we tended to look more like a 4-4-1-1 with Stewart and Vaughan anyway.

I don't disagree - it just depends how the manger wishes to define such a role.

As long as whoever it is isn't left isolated, it'll be fine.

I like the look of the squad the manager is putting together. It looks a good mix. Might be getting my hopes up here a little but maybe we should be thinking of finishing 4th and pushing for play off, and good couple of runs in the Cups would be a good season. Can not see past a Rangers or Hibs finishing as 1st and 2nd. Outside that those two there is not much to seperate the rest. Going to be tight league this season so we need to win out home games.

I like the look of the squad the manager is putting together. It looks a good mix. Might be getting my hopes up here a little but maybe we should be thinking of finishing 4th and pushing for play off, and good couple of runs in the Cups would be a good season. Can not see past a Rangers or Hibs finishing as 1st and 2nd. Outside that those two there is not much to seperate the rest. Going to be tight league this season so we need to win out home games.

totally agree with that, but i would quite happily sack the cup runs this season if it meant we finished 3rd/4th.

like many teams our home form will determin wether we can push into the play offs, making starks park a tough place to get any goal/points against us is a massive must for us after last season. the likes of Livi, rangers, QOS will have last seasons results at starks in their minds, and they are the results we must Rectify,

QOS look to have lost a really good core of their squad, and havent properly replaced them players yet.

Falkirk as per usual are keeping quiet, but havent lost any players from their squad last season apart from Loy, so id imagine much of the same from them, they will manage to find another striker to replace Loy out of knowhere.

St Mirren and Morton will be where our season is won and lost, these will be our toughest tests, both have a lot to prove, and could be a hit or a miss.

But if we can find a couple of really decet experience Pro's to fill in the blanks of our squad then we should be ok.

I'm reluctant to believe any ITK Twitter feed, especially one that keeps spelling the word losing as, loosing.

Could be something in it though. Shankland's record at under 20 level is impressive, but then so was Stephen Reynolds when we brought him in from St. Johnstone, and he was an absolute neep.

Not surprised clubs would be interested in Vaughan. I'm guessing we're not really in a position to turn down any decent offers, although whether or not St. Mirren could make one is debatable.