The New Raith Rovers Thread

28 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

In terms of available budget for new signings I would guess the wage costs are completely disproportionate to the amount of spaces we need to fill.

What do you base that on?

Also how many signings do you think a full time club dropping down a league with an absolutely massive drop in income should be making instead?

What do you base that on?
Also how many signings do you think a full time club dropping down a league with an absolutely massive drop in income should be making instead?

I'm basing it on the proven quality of Spence and Buchanan in contrast to players that nobody has ever heard of.

I would've thought at least 6 or so new signings were required once the details of the players being retained was announced.

And at present we have signed 4 so we are more than half way there, if a LB and a wide midfielder sign next we will have the six we need as a bare minimum.

4 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm basing it on the proven quality of Spence and Buchanan in contrast to players that nobody has ever heard of.

I would've thought at least 6 or so new signings were required once the details of the players being retained was announced

It's guys who are trialing. Every club at this level and the level above will have lads in trialing. It's a complete non-factor. The chances are we've offered these lads a place to train. We did it under Grant Murray. We did it under McKinnon. We did it under Locke. 

As I touched on before, we'll be waiting for loanees to become available and players who are under contract who might be deemed surplus to requirements elsewhere. 

I know it's an question which isn't the easiest to answer, but who would you be enthusiastic about coming in? 

5 minutes ago, rw89 said:

It's guys who are trialing. Every club at this level and the level above will have lads in trialing. It's a complete non-factor. The chances are we've offered these lads a place to train. We did it under Grant Murray. We did it under McKinnon. We did it under Locke. 

As I touched on before, we'll be waiting for loanees to become available and players who are under contract who might be deemed surplus to requirements elsewhere. 

I know it's an question which isn't the easiest to answer, but who would you be enthusiastic about coming in? 

Image result for Charles Hawtrey Actor

So, this has been a weirdly dull close season, even with the supposed behind the scenes maneuvering. How's everyone else's excitement levels for the new season

Image result for samurai jack aku malaise gif

Edited by renton

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 10:16, baillieinleeds said:

Unfortunately we're not in a position to cherry pick players, and the reality is we'll get what's left over. It's upto the management and players have to show they have what it takes to get out of this league. It'll be hard going that's for sure. I can't wait to go back to Forfar and Arbroath this season.

That's what I thought, I loved my first trip for years up to Brechin,etc

Not as much fun the third season when you're getting your balls handed to you on a plate by Forfar etc........

So, this has been a weirdly dull close season, even with the supposed behind the scenes maneuvering. How's everyone else's excitement levels for the new season
tumblr_onrkv0GTdE1trbm0ro1_500.gif

I'm getting to that stage where i'm starting to want the football back. Had a wee break from it and now can't wait to get back to watching games again as i missed the confederations cup. My only concern with us is what's now happening off the field, if it starts effecting what's happening on it.

How are Raith fans in general feeling about the season? Obviously the signings of Buchanan and Spence are top for this league, but the boys that are on trial don't seem to be quite at the same calibre as them. Are the players you've retained the ones you wanted to?

Just now, callum-ayr said:

How are Raith fans in general feeling about the season? Obviously the signings of Buchanan and Spence are top for this league, but the boys that are on trial don't seem to be quite at the same calibre as them. Are the players you've retained the ones you wanted to?

Pretty much, aye, barring Craig Barr who I wish we'd managed to keep hold of - would've been feeling a lot better about our defence. Matthews, Callachan and Vaughan should be amongst the better players in this league. Matthews, I think, will go onto a better standard than this regardless, Vaughan we know can do it at championship level at least and would've been instrumental for us if not for that fuckwit Locke. Cal is a good hardworking, strong midfielder as well, there is also Johnny Court, not sure if he's of the required grade but put in two pretty strong performances at the tail end of last year, against Hibs at Easter Road and yourselves on the last day - certainly offers something different in terms of his style to the rest.. More senior players like Benedictus and Bobby Barr should be fine as well, and Bobby Barr did well enough for us and Morton in the league above. The squad is thin on the ground still, we've only got a couple of untried and untested younger guys who could play with or instead of Bobby Barr on the wing, and we need a good season out of Scott Robertson, as he's our only other central mid alongside Cal and Matthews.

Yeah we're still short of a starting left back and right winger in my view. Get a decent level of player in those positions and I'll be confident of us #roaringback. I'd like this boardroom stuff to sort itself out as quickly as possible too as it can't be helping.

I would expect it to be a combination of the budget going on some of the players we've signed, re-signed to new deals, and our budget being much less than last season! - in addition, that will be further reduced, as we had something like 3 or 4 players being paid for by sponsors.... we have to face up to the realities of relegation, and accept we wont have as much depth as last year. Looking at the current squad, I say we are only a left back, and maybe 1 winger away from our base starting line up. As we move towards the end of July, I would expect that to be bolstered by 2 or 3 loan deals, as the sides above us have had a chance to build their squads up and decide which players can go out on loan. Come the start of the season, most of the backups I imagine will be youth or loan players

tumblr_onrkv0GTdE1trbm0ro1_500.gif

I'll always be interested in the Rovers, but I am back to accepting that we are an abject Diddy team. Even for Scotland we are a total and utter Diddy team. Getting relegated by Brechin confirms this, as does the way the club is run.

Still, I always look forward to the fixtures coming out and the various cup draws. Sometimes I prefer them to the grim reality of the actual football. The football really is sub-standard shite and the abundance of free football on the telly just rams this fact home.

Come on you (fucking Diddy, shite football playing) Raith!!!

6 hours ago, callum-ayr said:

We've also kept Davo. 

Primarily to save any new boys from being the scapegoat

On 02/07/2017 at 22:04, Ro Sham Bo said:

It is becoming painfully obvious we have blown most of our budget on Spence and Buchanan.

Never really rated Buchanan. Very average and very inconsistent.

He's also a lightweight.