The Falkirk FC Thread

11 minutes ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’ll be honest and say I’m not 100% confident in McGlynn to guide us through the playoffs. Being 14 points behind Dunfermline with 3 games left just isn’t good enough. I may be negative but I’m not making these results and gave due credit during our good run of matches. That’s long since over and the things I was criticising us for prior to that are evident again. 

His record is on a par with the league record of the 2 nicknamed ‘dumb and dumber’ on here. 

Miller and McCracken
P32 W17 D10 L6 GF56 GA25 Pts 60

McGlynn 
P33 W17 D9 L6 GF62 GA35 Pts 61

Points are the same and there is no stark contrast between goals scored and conceded. Recruitment has been better but our best signing this season has been Callum Morrison whom M&M signed. 

The ICT game will be the biggest decider on how confident I think we can be going in to the playoffs. If we see nothing encouraging in the league matches and go out with a whimper in the Cup then I’d honestly be tempted to try get someone else in to guide us through the playoffs. I know this will gain a lot of stick but had we made the right appointment in January then we could be out this league. Had we made the right appointment in 2020/21 then we could be out this league by now. There’s still a  lot to play for and it feels more that despite getting us to this position that McGlynn might mess this up.

He was a sensible appointment but I honestly expected a title challenge. I just have failed to get on board the McGlynn bus with everyone else. I got behind him at the start but like anyone I judged him on results and performances. He got off to a slow start and the good run of results just didn’t last long enough to make up for our early poor form. The Scottish Cup is a good distraction but not going up would be a disaster. Am I the only one thinking like this? 

No you are certainly not the only one thinking like this. Yet again he decided to stick his head in the sand, the equaliser doesn’t deflect from the many howls reigning down from the stand, and his petulant attitude of standing shrugging his shoulders. 

3 hours ago, NUMBER 7 said:

Williamson will be in for Rowe on Tuesday, he’s young but been getting away without criticism for weeks now 

Yes and Rowe to be subbed on after 20 mins due to Williamson breaking a toenail. I actually feel sorry for Montrose. But then we were well warned by Thistle and still signed him. 

1 hour ago, Caractacus Potts said:

I’ll be honest and say I’m not 100% confident in McGlynn to guide us through the playoffs. Being 14 points behind Dunfermline with 3 games left just isn’t good enough. I may be negative but I’m not making these results and gave due credit during our good run of matches. That’s long since over and the things I was criticising us for prior to that are evident again. 

His record is on a par with the league record of the 2 nicknamed ‘dumb and dumber’ on here. 

Miller and McCracken
P32 W17 D10 L6 GF56 GA25 Pts 60

McGlynn 
P33 W17 D9 L6 GF62 GA35 Pts 61

Points are the same and there is no stark contrast between goals scored and conceded. Recruitment has been better but our best signing this season has been Callum Morrison whom M&M signed. 

The ICT game will be the biggest decider on how confident I think we can be going in to the playoffs. If we see nothing encouraging in the league matches and go out with a whimper in the Cup then I’d honestly be tempted to try get someone else in to guide us through the playoffs. I know this will gain a lot of stick but had we made the right appointment in January then we could be out this league. Had we made the right appointment in 2020/21 then we could be out this league by now. There’s still a  lot to play for and it feels more that despite getting us to this position that McGlynn might mess this up.

He was a sensible appointment but I honestly expected a title challenge. I just have failed to get on board the McGlynn bus with everyone else. I got behind him at the start but like anyone I judged him on results and performances. He got off to a slow start and the good run of results just didn’t last long enough to make up for our early poor form. The Scottish Cup is a good distraction but not going up would be a disaster. Am I the only one thinking like this? 

Personally I think it’s now fair to say the league performance under McGlynn has been disappointing. You can argue about the relative strength of the division but the fact is Miller and McCracken had virtually no coaching, never mind managerial experience.

McGlynn is an experienced manager and coach and has been given backing by the board to bring in virtually a whole new squad. 

For me, to win 52% of games in the third tier in those circumstances is therefore disappointing. Hopefully the playoffs will render the league performance irrelevant.

Totally understand the formation change today. Airdrie play with a wide 3 up front so it was only right to give protection back to the full backs. Gary Oliver was excellent and played two crucial moments in the Kennedy opener. If we play one up front then it has to be him. The diamond formation would have suited Airdrie to a T. Let’s bear in mind their two goals come from set pieces. Nothing to do with the formation. The first goal totally shook us and lifted them massively and we must do better as a team to weather the storm rather than crumble. I agree RE Rowe. He’s been murder for weeks. The back pass is weak, McKay should deal and Kinnear is in no man’s land. He’s another I would drop now with PJ coming back in. 

6 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Totally understand the formation change today. Airdrie play with a wide 3 up front so it was only right to give protection back to the full backs. Gary Oliver was excellent and played two crucial moments in the Kennedy opener. If we play one up front then it has to be him. The diamond formation would have suited Airdrie to a T. Let’s bear in mind their two goals come from set pieces. Nothing to do with the formation. The first goal totally shook us and lifted them massively and we must do better as a team to weather the storm rather than crumble. I agree RE Rowe. He’s been murder for weeks. The back pass is weak, McKay should deal and Kinnear is in no man’s land. He’s another I would drop now with PJ coming back in. 

Burrell is a no brainer to start for me irrespective of formation 

1 hour ago, bairn88 said:

Rowe has absolutely zero blame for the goal and to even suggest so is a fucking wild take. 

I thought Rowe looked an excellent full back and marked Callum Smith out the game for long spells,,    the same really on the other side Ballantyne doing a very good job on Morrison also..

4 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Rowe has absolutely zero blame for the goal and to even suggest so is a fucking wild take. 

Looking at the highlights it's a poor pass back when he could easily have punted it out for a throw. Hit nowhere near hard enough. 

People seem to forget we were 35 points behind cove last season . At the moment we're 12 behind Dunfermline but comfortably ahead of the rest. Id have thought the vast majority of us would've bitten your hand off for that and a cup semi final last June.

49 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

At the moment we're 12 behind Dunfermline. Id have thought the vast majority of us would've bitten your hand off for that 

On 13/04/2023 at 22:45, Shodwall cat said:

I've never agreed with rewarding failure .

Being that far behind Dunfermline is failure Shadwell. 

Edited by Bairn in Exile

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

Looking at the highlights it's a poor pass back when he could easily have punted it out for a throw. Hit nowhere near hard enough. 

People seem to forget we were 35 points behind cove last season . At the moment we're 12 behind Dunfermline but comfortably ahead of the rest. Id have thought the vast majority of us would've bitten your hand off for that and a cup semi final last June.

Agree 100%.  Last June we were so bad on, and only starting to get sorted off the park I genuinely thought Part Time football was returning and possibly even worse. It was only a matter of time before we’d have been relegated. 

Obviously it’s disappointing not to win this league and that’s down in particular to our away form and not beating the main opposition. We are likely to finish the season with the best home record, I know you get nothing for that, but at least the majority of fans have seen something better, plus a few great wins v Hibs Patrick and Ayr. 

We are in a Playoff likely Falkirk Airdrie Hamilton Alloa, not going to say we’ll come through this but there is no fear what so ever from that group.

The Semi Final at Hampden is fine reward for the shit we’ve endured these previous four seasons to this and a chance of making the final and a lot more money.

Season 23/24, who knows what division we’ll be in, but we’ll be In existence, Full Time and having a few quid in the bank and guys with some nouse running the show. Nobody could have said that a year ago.

Edited by NUMBER 7

Looking back at the highlights it really was a game where very little happened at both ends. The usual over reaction from some - that Airdrie bossed the game is rubbish.  Kinnear has not had a save all game, and the Airdire keeper only one or two. Looked pretty much like a couple of teams not really showing their hands before the play offs. If we play Airdrie I think they will be two cracking games. 

Same as Dunfermline we switched off, for a short spell and got punished. That has to be sorted out. McGlynn has options all over the pitch. He needs to use them wisely now and find the answer to get us up. 

I think a fit McGinn is key to the stability and leadership of the team, so I would rest him up now and use him sparingly. I am not huge fan of Nesbitt but we need his midfield energy. Max has gone off the boil a bit as has Morrison and Donaldson has also had an indifferent spell. They need to find their form so a couple of games on the bench won’t kill them either. 

The play offs are a totally different kettle of fish to these end of season league games. Everyone including the support will be up for it. I am looking forward to them. 

2 hours ago, Shodwall cat said:

13 behind

8 hours ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Gary Oliver was excellent and played two crucial moments in the Kennedy opener. If we play one up front then it has to be him.

Fantastic play on halfway but bit of a reach to claim sclaffing a shot to Kennedy is anything other than extremely fortunate. In fact that just about sums him up completely.

If I didn't know otherwise I'd assume you were Gary Oliver.