The Falkirk FC Thread

That looks like a typical result for next season TBH. The young boys, although very good, would be eaten alive in most competitive games.

That's the danger. The difference between friendlies and real games is enormous, even when the friendly is against a good side on paper and the real game isn't.

Who is playing up front for you in the friendlies, in the absence of senior forwards? From the report I read in the Record today, I assumed Kingsley started up front, but I now believe he's a midfielder [wiki says defender!].

What kind of formation is Elvis using in the friendlies?

Edited by bunglebonce

Who is playing up front for you in the friendlies, in the absence of senior forwards? From the report I read in the Record today, I assumed Kingsley started up front, but I now believe he's a midfielder [wiki says defender!].

Last night we lined up -

McGovern

Duffiie Dods Bennet Scobbie

Alston Murdoch Millar Kingsley

Higgonbotham

Graham

As for this season, it would appear that top 5 is a likely outcome. However next season and the season after, promotion becomes a real possibility.

I have no idea what you're basing this on.

The fallacy of keeping Pressley on despite his failure of the past two seasons is going to cost us hugely. I can't see us being in a position to challenge for the title for another three or four seasons at least.

I hope I'm wrong (and would love to be proved so), but I don't think I am.

Who is playing up front for you in the friendlies

We've had Tam McManus, Ally Graham (from U-19s), Kallum Higginbotham and Farid Allagui (trialist) Looks pretty likely that these four will make up our forward line next season

From the report I read in the Record today, I assumed Kingsley started up front, but I now believe he's a midfielder [wiki says defender!].

Normally used at left back, but used as a left sided midfielder last night where he did quite well.

As above, 4-4-1-1

VT, we've had this debate several times already. Do I really need to explain my thoughts again?

Well yes you do until they make a coherent argument.

What basis is there for having a distinct possibility of promotion next season and the year after? You're absolutely shafted financially, don't have a competent manager, have no guarantee of finding a competent manager and don't have anything to mark you above the rest of the division.

Dundee harboured the same delusions when they took the drop, they're still making up the numbers here every single year.

Edited by vikingTON

I have no idea what you're basing this on.

The fallacy of keeping Pressley on despite his failure of the past two seasons is going to cost us hugely. I can't see us being in a position to challenge for the title for another three or four seasons at least.

I hope I'm wrong (and would love to be proved so), but I don't think I am.

The bright light on the horizon for me is the ease with which McCall turned round the failures of the Totten season.

Obviously under Pressley any talk of promotion, or even a challenge is laughable (:lol) but I don't think it's out of the question that once he is banished never to return that a new manager can't turn things around.

It's really dependant on how many seasons the idiots in the board room decide we need to suffer the useless clown. My prediction for this season, FWIW, is a 6th place finish.

The Pressley fluffers will hail this as a triumph against adversity and proof positive "Elvis" is the man to take us forward... a rolling 1 year contract will be awarded next summer.

Well yes you do until they make a coherent argument.

What basis is there for having a distinct possibility of promotion next season and the year after? You're absolutely shafted financially, don't have a competent manager, have no guarantee of finding a competent manager and don't have anything to mark you above the rest of the division.

Dundee harboured the same delusions when they took the drop, they're still making up the numbers here every single year.

Aye fine, this coming season we're a lame duck, that's agreed; Pressley is a first class fud, that's also agreed. We're in for a long hard struggle, that's agreed too... Leaving aside the 5 seasons we've just done in the SPL, in our last 6 seasons in Division 1 (ie at our level of opposition), we were winners twice, 3rd twice and 4th once. Its hardly making up the numbers. And that includes finishing 3rd last season, when our style of play was utter dross, under our incompetent manager.

It seems that our general standard of players over recent years, plus our reasonable fan base, plus our reasonable facilities, means we've consistently been one of the Div 1 challengers and gives us reasonable hope for the future, if we can finish 3rd when we're abject pish. But it certainly won't be this season.

Pressley won't be with us for ever - sooner he's out, the better - and you're right there's no guarantees, but we have been able to attract a decent standard of applicant in the past when the job has been on the open market. And we believe there's evidence of decent talent coming through our own ranks for future years, for a future half-decent manager to work with. Is that really delusional?

Aye fine, this coming season we're a lame duck, that's agreed; Pressley is a first class fud, that's also agreed. We're in for a long hard struggle, that's agreed too... Leaving aside the 5 seasons we've just done in the SPL, in our last 6 seasons in Division 1 (ie at our level of opposition), we were winners twice, 3rd twice and 4th once. Its hardly making up the numbers. And that includes finishing 3rd last season, when our style of play was utter dross, under our incompetent manager.

It seems that our general standard of players over recent years, plus our reasonable fan base, plus our reasonable facilities, means we've consistently been one of the Div 1 challengers and gives us reasonable hope for the future, if we can finish 3rd when we're abject pish. But it certainly won't be this season.

Pressley won't be with us for ever - sooner he's out, the better - and you're right there's no guarantees, but we have been able to attract a decent standard of applicant in the past when the job has been on the open market. And we believe there's evidence of decent talent coming through our own ranks for future years, for a future half-decent manager to work with. Is that really delusional?

Spot on.

For all the talk about budgetary constraints, our fanbase means we will still have a bigger budget than the majority of the league, so a top half place should be the expectation (idiot managers notwithstanding).

As you say, this year is a write off, but we will be promoted again "soon".

You weren't 'abject pish' last season: you might have been by your own standards but you can sink a hell of a lot lower (and on the basis of your squad at the moment + Clown Shoes, you will). Dundee finished 7th under Alan Kernaghan a few seasons after going down and were getting drubbed by the likes of Airdrie United.

The players you had over recent years is irrelevant to the standard you will get as a middling First Division club.

Pressley won't be with us for ever - sooner he's out, the better - and you're right there's no guarantees, but we have been able to attract a decent standard of applicant in the past when the job has been on the open market.

If that's the case then why did the board appoint Eddie May and then Pressley as the most suitable appointment? It doesn't take Einstein to work out there's an issue there.

And we believe there's evidence of decent talent coming through our own ranks for future years, for a future half-decent manager to work with. Is that really delusional?

I don't think decent young players and a half-decent manager are enough to get you out of this league.

For all the talk about budgetary constraints, our fanbase means we will still have a bigger budget than the majority of the league, so a top half place should be the expectation (idiot managers notwithstanding).

It doesn't really though, because some clubs can afford to be bankrolled or run at a small loss (see Ross County, Morton, to some extent Hamilton). Plus there will always be one SPL side coming down with a parachute payment: maybe next year it will be a better run, relatively large outfit like St Mirren or St Johnstone again? If they sign the right players, like Inverness did, then they will be formidable for at least a season and will probably bounce back up.

Just because you generate more income doesn't make your budget higher at this level: Dundee regularly have the highest crowds in the league, have achieved nothing and even went into administration again.

Edited by vikingTON

dundee had a lower average crowd than us last season until they entered siege mentallity mode.....i refer you to an early season over 4000 crowd against cowdenbeath at TFS...morton used to get a decent support...around 25 years ago

Our crowds against Cowdenbeath at home this season were 3,764 and 3,581.

.morton used to get a decent support...around 25 years ago

I reckon we have a higher budget and are attracting a higher standard of player than you, so couldn't give a toss about how many fans you claim to have,

And a few seasons of midtable medicority will sort the wheat from the chaff regardless.

Clear implication in that quote that the fee is in stage payments and perhaps dependent on appearances. Would be very interesting to know how much is actually up front and how much on top of that is actually guaranteed ie merely being paid up slowly and not dependent on the player actually making appearances. I suspect the guaranteed amount will be nowhere near the reputed £150k, which isn't to say it won't get there of course.