The Pie and Bovril Dead Pool 2024

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Might as well have done the 60 fags and a bottle of Bells a day diet, a life wasted.

If only his death could be as intermittent as his fasting routine.

Week 23 update

Halfway point of the year and we have two deaths. I'm doing them in reverse order, obviously. 

First is actor William Russell: William Russell: Original Doctor Who cast member dies aged 99 - BBC News

One of Doctor Who's four original cast members, William Russell, has died aged 99.

His death was confirmed and announced on Tuesday by the Guardian newspaper.

Russell played schoolteacher Ian Chesterton in the first two series of the BBC's sci-fi show and was the Doctor's first companion.

He left the show in 1965, but in 2022 he reprised his role and made a cameo in Jodie Whittaker's final episode, The Power of The Doctor.

The actor broke a Guinness World Record for the longest gap between TV appearances.

In the first ever episode, An Unearthly Child, which aired in 1963, Russell's character meets the Doctor, played by William Hartnell.

Russell's character mistakenly calls him Doctor Foreman, before Hartnell then replies "Doctor Who?"

There are television viewing societies in the world who would have heard that line, stood up, applauded, then left because clearly the programme had ended. 

Russell died at 99 so he's worth 26 Base Points for @Darren, @Raidernation, @scottsdad and @stanton

==============

Second death this week is rugby player and MND campaigner Rob Burrow: Rob Burrow obituary | Rugby league | The Guardian

The Leeds Rhinos, England and Great Britain rugby league international Rob Burrow, who has died aged 41, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease in 2019 and rose to wider public prominence in the following years, raising money for MND charities and lobbying the government to increase funding into research, treatment and care facilities. He died of complications from the disease.

Before his diagnosis, Burrow had spent his entire 17-year playing career with one club, Leeds Rhinos, earning the nickname “Mighty Atom” for his diminutive stature – at just under 5ft 5in (165cm) and weighing less than 11st (70kg), he was by far the smallest player of his era. Turning out at either scrum-half or hooker in a sport where size and bulk are usually of paramount importance, Burrow won eight Super League titles, two Challenge Cups and three World Club Championships in 492 appearances for his club, scoring 196 tries and kicking 157 goals and five drop-goals.

I don't know off the top of my head how many MND cases have featured over the years I've run the Dead Pool, but I'd say there's a good chance Burrow has been the most visible of those. He's been featured a lot on BBC Breakfast which I watch in the morning before I go to work so that probably has something to do with it, but that and the BBC documentary about him a few years ago have meant his diagnosis and deterioration have played out quite publicly. 

Since his death was announced after I had posted last week's update I've had a while to think about what I was going to say here. Over the years I've done this I do occasionally think about dying and I think a drawn out case of MND is about the worst thing imaginable. Seeing what it's done to people, and seeing the effect it has on people who almost always seem to have been athletes, strong people who were defined by being in peak physical condition, I honestly don't think I would be able to cope and battle that long if it ever happened to me. 

I also wondered how someone in Burrow's case would want to be remembered. Would you rather be defined by your achievements pre-diagnosis, or both, or something else? With that in mind, his obituary goes on to make two additional points which probably preclude my thinking here:

Describing the shock of his diagnosis – he was initially given two years to live – Burrow said: “As an athlete you are used to injury, and then you recover and carry on as before. With MND I couldn’t do that. But I did decide immediately that, like an athlete, I would tackle the challenge head-on and carry on competing like I had before.” His wife Lindsey, an NHS physiotherapist, whom he had married in 2006, became his carer.

Burrow had played for most of his career alongside Kevin Sinfield, his team-mate and Leeds Rhinos captain, and it would be his relationship with his long-standing friend that would come to define the latter part of his life and bring him to wider national attention. Together they raised more than £15m for MND charities as Burrow became, along with Sinfield, the former rugby union player Doddie Weir and the footballer Stephen Darby, the public face of those living with MND.

Burrow died at 41 so he's worth 84 Base Points. He's worth 126 points for a Vice-Captain and 168 for a Captain. He was picked 51 times so these points are awarded as follows:

Base Points: @Arabdownunder, @Arch Stanton, @Billy Jean King, @cdhafc1874, @Craig fae the Vale, @dagane, @Desp, @DG.Roma, @Enigma, @gingette, @Indale Winton, @JustOneCornetto, @Karpaty Lviv, @Mark Connolly, @Melanius Mullarkey, @Moomintroll, @psv_killie, @pub car king, @qos_75, @Ray Patterson, @Sergeant Wilson, @Shotgun, @sparky88, @The Hologram, @weirdcal

Vice-Captain: @Arbroathlegend36-0, @choirbairn, @Darren, @Lofarl, @lolls, @mozam76, @peasy23, @Savage Henry, @The Naitch

Captain: @10menwent2mow, @101, @Aim Here, @buddiepaul, @chomp my root, @El Guapo, @GuyIncognito, @HI HAT, @mathematics, @Ned Nederlander, @nessies long lost ghost, @scottsdad, @Shipa, @sleazy, @The_Craig, @throbber, @TxRover

In spite of everything I enjoy big scores like this because they really move the standings about:

1. mozam76 528
2. Billy Jean King 464
3. Ned Nederlander 450
4. lolls 442
5. Moomintroll 430
6. The_Craig 422
7. psv_killie 419
8. Indale Winton 412
9. sparky88 375
10. choirbairn, The Naitch 366
12. El Guapo, mathematics 332
14. The DA 328
15. TxRover 325
16. pub car king 322
17. JustOneCornetto 309
18. Forest_Fifer, scottsdad 297
20. Arch Stanton 291
21. cdhafc1974 288
22. buddiepaul, chomp my root 281
24. lichtgilphead 279
25. peasy23 276
26. weirdcal 275
27. sleazy 268
28. Melanius Mullarkey, Savage Henry 260
30. Arbroathlegend36-0 252
31. Lofarl 245
32. Desp 234
33. Aim Here 219
34. blackislekillie 216
35. parxyz 206
36. Darren, qos_75 203
38. Arabdownunder 201
39. Oystercatcher 198
40. Bully Wee Villa 194
41. Craig fae the Vale, pawpar 179
43. tamthebam 171

44. amnarab 169
45. 10menwent2mow, 101, Guy Incognito, HI HAT, nessies long lost ghost, Shipa, throbber 168

52. Raidernation, Salvo Montalbano 163
54. Karpaty Lviv, Ray Patterson 162
56. DG.Roma, Mark Connolly, Sergeant Wilson, Shotgun 159
60. alta-pete, Miguel Sanchez 156
62. ThomCat 152
63. Enigma 128

64. Trogdor 113
65. Sweaty Morph 100
66. dagane, gingette, The Hologram 84

69. invergowrie arab 78
70. sensorsoupe 75
71. ICTChris 74
72. D Angelo Barksdale 71

73. Florentine_Pogen 58
74. stanton 51

75. BillyAnchor, doulikefish 49
77. LoonsYouthTeam 44
78. falkirktheinvincible 27

79. Everyone else 0

The spreadsheet has also been updated with these scores: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CsroU6IlQNJOesOqCc5gsI7SCw8ywBS-PUzQwLTJe4g/edit?usp=sharing

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, tinkerbelle said:

Body been found ☹️

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/jun/09/dr-michael-mosley-obituary

So, farewell Michael Mosely,

Died on a Greek holiday island,

I hope you enjoyed your unpasteurised

sheep's milk yoghurt & dolmades.

E.J.Thribb, aged 17 & 9 months.

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

7 hours ago, The DA said:

Alan Hansen is in intensive care. Hope he pulls through. 

ETA: Not my finest moment.

At least until we can get him on next years team.

Simon Cowell. unfortunately not the botox ridden scruff, but the wildlife presenter has died aged 72

https://www.wildlifeaid.org.uk/simon-cowell-tribute

Points please (qualifying obit - https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/breaking-wildlife-sos-simon-cowell-33000351)

Edited by JustOneCornetto

28 minutes ago, GordonD said:

TV doctor Michael Mosley has died. Putting it on here as it seems to have attracted no mention in the media.

If you do just one thing.... 

take your mobile with you when hiking on a Greek island