The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm astounded that folk are playing Dick at centre half ahead of Murray. 

Why? Dick was brilliant earlier in the season when Murray wasn't fit. He's a good fit in there. 

Something isn't right in that defence, the goals against tally doesn't lie. The goal against Dunfermline should not have happened. That's why I state for 3 at the back and 3 in midfield. That gap, wouldn't have been there and someone would have pressed sooner. 

O'Reilly Watson Murray might be great I'm just going on what I've seen this season. 

6 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm astounded that folk are playing Dick at centre half ahead of Murray. 

Short memories it seems. People were going off their nut to sign a CB a while back to get him back on the left.

Just typing that out put Connor O’Riordan back in my mind 😍. I keep an eye on the Crewe results and he plays every week..wouldn’t be surprised to find him end up in the English Championship earning a fortune.

Edited by RAITHROVERS84

3 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

Short memories it seems. People were going off their nut to sign a CB a while back to get him back on the left.

Just typing that out put Connor O’Riordan back in my mind 😍. I keep an eye on the Crewe results and he plays every week..wouldn’t be surprised to find him end up in the English Championship earning a fortune.

A back 3 of O'Reilly Watson and O'Riordan would have been a cracking combo. 

30 minutes ago, RAITHROVERS84 said:

It seems you're spot on with your prediction...the Lancashire Telegraph reported a few days ago that Blackburn Rovers have triggered a £500k release clause in Connor O'Riordan's contract to sign him from Crewe in the January transfer window 🤯

Really great to see O'Riordan getting a big move, it was clear from his short time with us that he had a big future ahead of him.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24014940.blackburn-agree-transfer-fee-ahead-transfer-window/

4 minutes ago, Kuma Power said:

It seems you're spot on with your prediction...the Lancashire Telegraph reported a few days ago that Blackburn Rovers have triggered a £500k release clause in Connor O'Riordan's contract to sign him from Crewe in the January transfer window 🤯

Really great to see O'Riordan getting a big move, it was clear from his short time with us that he had a big future ahead of him.

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/24014940.blackburn-agree-transfer-fee-ahead-transfer-window/

Jesus! Didn’t even know!

Fantastic. A year or so ago he’s part of our team going Abroath away to literally being worth half a million quid playing Leicester and Leeds. The club should do a wee piece on that as wouldn’t be a bad thing for us to get the occasional young gem to blood in.

Well done Connor and well done whoever at us made that deal happen. You could tell even at 19 he had a bit of ‘Rolls Royce’ about him.

1 hour ago, Brashy's Boots said:

You think there's something done with Byrne but also wonder if Dundee will recall him?

Shurely shome mishtake.

Well we can agree a pre contract with him for next season as he’s out of contract as our right too…. but Dundee also have right in the loan agreement to recall him? I don’t think it was that hard to understand tbh 🤔

1 hour ago, Kuma Power said:

Maybe he'll buy a Club 1883 Membership with it. Absolutely great news, and am I right thinking he's stayed in contact with us?

42 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

We'll get a small amount of development fee if he moves won't we? 

We will indeed.

It'll probably just be two or three grand if he goes for half a million, but better than a kick in the stanes.

We previously got a development fee from Blackburn when they signed a striker we had on loan from Dundee United.

I just can't for the life of me think of his name😬

8 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Why? Dick was brilliant earlier in the season when Murray wasn't fit. He's a good fit in there. 

Something isn't right in that defence, the goals against tally doesn't lie. The goal against Dunfermline should not have happened. That's why I state for 3 at the back and 3 in midfield. That gap, wouldn't have been there and someone would have pressed sooner. 

O'Reilly Watson Murray might be great I'm just going on what I've seen this season. 

Goals against isn't just on the defence though. I'd argue that our midfield are equally culpable as we're frequently passed through far too easily without a lot of closing down. Ayr was a perfect example with 3 of the goals coming from someone running from midfield unmarked 

9 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

As an overall I think if we could look at a left back. 

Dick is good at the heart of the  defence and would be good with O'Reilly if we can sign him up. 

I think a pacey right winger would be a good shout. Mullin throws in a good ball but he is woefully slow on a counter attack, which was evident against Dunfermline on a couple of occasions and lost possession in good positions. It would be good as a different option. 

I also think we need another centre forward to rival Hamilton. When Hamilton isn't firing on all cylinders or is injured we really struggle. I don't think Gullan is upto much to be honest. He tries but he just isn't the same since his return from Hibs. 

I feel McGill is under utilised at times but when we have Brown, Stanton and Byrne all fit then midfield will be very difficult to break into as I think Rossco will find out as well. 

We have an embarrassment of riches on the left with Easton, Smith and even Connolly if we actually tried him on the side his foot is made for. 

Fully fit at the moment, my team would be;

Dabrowski 

O'Reilly Watson Dick 

Mullin Byrne Brown Easton

Stanton

Vaughan Hamilton 

You could make cases for Connolly, Millen, Murray, Smith to start as well. Really is an embarrassment of riches but we need to get it right as these riches are back firing at times. 

I've made a case all year about the huge gap in midfield at times and not controlling games and every time we've went with 5 in midfield, either pushing for an equaliser or winner we've looked brilliant. They 3 in midfield I believe would be the key to us maintaining our push. 

At present 

My midfield would be;

Mullin Byrne Brown Connolly or Smith with Easton playing behind the front 2 of Vaughan and Hamilton. I'd really like to see Easton in that creative spot and full freedom of the pitch. 

Sorry for the lengthly post 😂

IMG_9551.jpeg.f2d4fed1461f6d071f6f6b09c8eee352.jpeg

2 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Goals against isn't just on the defence though. I'd argue that our midfield are equally culpable as we're frequently passed through far too easily without a lot of closing down. Ayr was a perfect example with 3 of the goals coming from someone running from midfield unmarked 

I'm sure I did say about a 5 man midfield as well. 

I still don't understand how people don't see this? Every game we've won when chasing or pushing has been 3-5-2. Dunfermline 3-0 game 5 in midfield an totally bossed it and kept a clean sheet. Only game really that we've won by a clear margin and kept a cleansheet. 

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

IMG_9551.jpeg.f2d4fed1461f6d071f6f6b09c8eee352.jpeg

Didn't realise Millen was the Roberto Carlos of our team 😂

We played fine without Millen earlier in the year when McGill deputised there. 

As I said my choice of team, yours and everybody elses will differ. That's the nature of football. 

22 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

With all due respect to Keith Watson, there's more longevity in Dan O'Reilly too. Murray and O'Reilly is a partnership that could conceivably run for years. 

If you prioritise Watson over O'Reilly now, you're going to be looking for another O'Reilly by next summer, at the very latest. 

When I wrote this, I was under the mistaken impression that Keith Watson had signed a two year deal. That his contract runs out in the summer makes an O'Reilly deal a no-brainer for me. 

It's not that Keith Watson isn't decent, he was very, very good in the early portion of the season, but Dan O'Reilly is 28. Murray, O'Reilly and Watson is a brilliant senior stable of centre halfs for this year, and then you go into the summer knowing you've got Murray and O'Reilly tied down, and you've got a nice simple "Can we do better than Keith?" dynamic in the window. 

33 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

Didn't realise Millen was the Roberto Carlos of our team 😂

We played fine without Millen earlier in the year when McGill deputised there. 

As I said my choice of team, yours and everybody elses will differ. That's the nature of football. 

Millen is 100x the full back Scott McGill is, man. 

I wouldn't be surprised of either. Watson doesn't play again.

Or

He comes back for 3 or 4 games before getting injured again with an Ian Murray time frame of 2 weeks until hes back never to be seen again. 

Basically we need another defender, ideally a full back that can play either side but I'd be happy with O'Reilly who has more goals than a few guys who play further forward than him. 

1 hour ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I'm sure I did say about a 5 man midfield as well. 

I still don't understand how people don't see this? Every game we've won when chasing or pushing has been 3-5-2. Dunfermline 3-0 game 5 in midfield an totally bossed it and kept a clean sheet. Only game really that we've won by a clear margin and kept a cleansheet. 

Aye, but within the context of those games, we've played 3 at the back when we've been chasing games and other sides have been content to sit in and ride it out. 

For the cup game, McPake changed formation, negating the joy Dunfermline were getting down the sides. He fucked it.

Not saying it wouldnt work but suspect it's a different prospect starting that formation at 0-0 for 90 minutes than doing it in a harem scarem fashion for 10 minutes chasing a game.

Edited by renton

15 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

In other news...

Are versions of Scrabble offered in other languages, that is, with the points per letter and number of each letter juggled around?