The New Raith Rovers Thread

On 07/05/2024 at 22:55, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm shocked anyone thinks any team in the Scottish Championship is anything other than garbage. There's virtually no quality on offer at all. 

Anyhow, I turned on Barnsley v Bolton which was miles better. 

Rovers must be garbage too as we fall in to that category of any team in the Scottish championship. 

I think you perhaps need to lock your keyboard away for a while, switch off all media, don’t buy a paper, live on a remote island and enjoy life.

On 07/05/2024 at 22:55, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm shocked anyone thinks any team in the Scottish Championship is anything other than garbage. There's virtually no quality on offer at all. 

Anyhow, I turned on Barnsley v Bolton which was miles better. 

Odd take, there's more to football than quality, and even then I'd strongly disagree that there's virtually no quality on offer at all. Nothing more humbling than thinking you're alright at football and then playing with a player you thought was an utter jobber. Playing against Pat Scullion as a youngster wasn't great, whilst playing against Byrne was just a bit silly. 

In other news Rhuaridh Kilgour and Fanwave has been named in an article by the Guardian. 

Revealed: how ‘fun’ social media accounts direct fans to betting giant https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/may/09/revealed-how-fun-social-media-accounts-direct-fans-to-betting-giant?CMP=share_btn_url

A look on twitter says Fanwave profits from people putting on shit bets through tipping accounts. 

Hey ma, we're in the paper, sort of. 

Woodward and Bernstein have gotten together again to point out that Ruaridh Kilgour's company run a Twitter account that posts betting tips every hour of the day and is, shockingly, linked to a bookmaker. 

There's legitimate points in there about honesty and, in particular, transparency, but from my point of view, I'm not seeing a smoking gun. 

The intrinsic link between gambling and football isn't the most palatable, but with the SPFL about to announce a record deal with William Hill, I don't think this is going to bring down the Barrowman administration. 

3 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

There's legitimate points in there about honesty and, in particular, transparency, but from my point of view, I'm not seeing a smoking gun. 

The intrinsic link between gambling and football isn't the most palatable, but with the SPFL about to announce a record deal with William Hill, I don't think this is going to bring down the Barrowman administration. 

Good summation.  I don't love it personally but it's far from the kind of 'problematic' that's in our recent past.

5 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Hey ma, we're in the paper, sort of. 

Woodward and Bernstein have gotten together again to point out that Ruaridh Kilgour's company run a Twitter account that posts betting tips every hour of the day and is, shockingly, linked to a bookmaker. 

Genuinely thought Andy Robson was one person, his constant tweeting in the first person is pretty weird being a brand rather than a person.

8 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

You know, Captain Birdseye isn't really a captain. 

Don’t think that’s fair. The account is deliberately styled to portray it being a guy who’s out to help you ‘beat the bookie’. It’s even written in the first person. 
I don’t think it’s naive of anyone to not realise it’s actually owned/run by/ affiliated with the bookmakers it’s purporting to help you beat. 

9 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

You know, Captain Birdseye isn't really a captain. 

Captain Birdseye doesn't tell me how to catch fish.

Andy Robson talks about "my website" and "I've written a cheat sheet"

Football and bookies go hand in hand but the Robson brand does feel a little like misrepresentation. He is constantly RT people who win obviously to show that the tips they provide are great (they are a mixed bag naturally) and everyone he promotes clearly also thinks it's one person.

8 minutes ago, 101 said:

Captain Birdseye doesn't tell me how to catch fish.

Andy Robson talks about "my website" and "I've written a cheat sheet"

Football and bookies go hand in hand but the Robson brand does feel a little like misrepresentation. He is constantly RT people who win obviously to show that the tips they provide are great (they are a mixed bag naturally) and everyone he promotes clearly also thinks it's one person.

'Mixed bag' is being generous. The majority of them have a negative expected value (sometimes as high as -20%) meaning you'll be down over the long run and significantly so. And that's just on the markets that are easy to calculate i.e. 1X2, BTTS and Overs. Once you get into all the permutations and bet builders the margins are even bigger for the bookies.

If Raith fans are fine with it then that's their call, but I'd feel uncomfortable with someone like that at Falkirk.

Aye its a bit unsettling knowing that one of our directors main businesses is essentially 'conning the gullable'. I don't usually have sympathy for gamblers, but this feels a bit more underhand than what you'd normally expect. Did take less than 1 minute to find on the Andy's site that Andy is actually a trading name of Fanwave Digital, but you don't expect the standard punter to go look at terms and conditions of a site.

If he walks, I think his position is probably in good hands with those that have been hired around him, if he doesn't then it may be good to distance himself from the business side if possible.

He’ll be going nowhere.

Not broken any rules and nothing tip wise regarding Raith since his appointment if the article is correct.

People love drama and to hype things into something they’re not.

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah I can see Kilgour resigning because of this. 

Given your track record, he'll be in charge of the club within a fortnight. 😉

I don't know much about gambling, and definitely feel that football has a rather uneasy relationship with that industry to say the least. Aside from front of shirt sponsorship, you've got TV shows,podcasts and other media all geared up towards gambling. 

I don't think it's much of a surprise to see that bookies using social media in their favour in that way. You'll always find people who are looking for an easy win, and with the nature of that industry it's not a shock to see that being used in their favour. 

The original model called out sounded a lot worse, where there was profit coming from each loss. I'd be a lot more concerned if that had still been going on.

As it is, I'd have to say that there's a degree of naivety from anyone who thinks that a betting site will only produce winners or to think this stuff wouldn't go on but then it's an industry tailored towards the worst habits of those who end up in horrific spirals. 

Can't see any changes coming off the back of this and I don't feel like it puts Ruaridh in a position where he should be resigning. It's not something I'd condone myself but it's not exactly the journalist murdering, human rights abusing sportswashing state sponsorship you'll see down south. Not that it's a top trumps of questionable behaviour. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Arthur Reid McDermott said:

It's yet another attempt to ruin someone's reputation with UTTER GOSIP.

DGW ruined his reputation with own actions. Raith fans in general looked at the facts and decided they didn't want him at the club. The civil court judgement was widely shared and I think it was an informed decision for most fans. 

This is completely different. Vice ran an article about Andy's tips in 2016 so if we did any due dilligence last year it was either not picked up or wasn't a concern.

If a social media site is giving you links to sign up for a particular bookie I think most folk would understand they are getting paid to link them, and its rampant on football sites... see the Away Days fb's etc.

That said, the site showing as being in the first person, when its designed by social media "experts" is cynical, especially with the encouragement to keep putting bets on in those challenges to build your balance (covered in the podcast link that @lanky_ffc posted yesterday)

Overall it's not great but I think it reflects worse on FanWave than Raith. I don't think it's a resigning issue but I think we'll get loads of sarcy replies about bookies links to any social media posts we put up.

Where do you draw the line on who can invest in your football club in terms of their other legal but not especially ethical enterprises ? 

Edited by Halbeath Raith Rover

People trying to start a scandal here over absolutely nothing. Pathetic stuff. Anyone who follows online tipsters who don't show a clear profit/loss record is a moron of the highest order. Surely everyone with even a partial interest in gambling knows that these sort of tipsters are affiliated with bookies. The fact that Kilgour has built such a valuable and profitable company off the back of posting some shan tips online is very impressive in my view and we are fortunate he is involved with our club. I've no doubt the excellent social media output we've seen this year is down to him.