Scotland ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ v ๐Ÿ‡ต๐Ÿ‡น Portugal - 15th October

59 minutes ago, BullyWeeStonehouse said:

Tbf to him, he did remarkably well to make an arse of the Belgium job with the vast array of talent in that squad at the timeโ€ฆ

He got them to a World Cup semi-final and a Euros quarter-final, being knocked out by the eventual winners in both (France and Italy). I don't think either of those were remotely failures. The last World Cup was poor, but also I'm not sure you can legislate for Lukaku missing about 10 sitters in the second half of their last match.

Whether or not Roberto Martinez has done a good job with Belgium & Portugal, I'm still nonplussed about how he ended up with those jobs to start with. That well-trodden career path of Swansea City -> relegation with Wigan Athletic -> sacked by Everton -> two jobs with realistic World Cup winning aspirantsย ย :blink:

It'd be like Sir Steve ending up at Bayern Munich, then Real Madrid after leaving us. I know we all love him, but I'm not sure that's likely to happen.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Whether or not Roberto Martinez has done a good job with Belgium & Portugal, I'm still nonplussed about how he ended up with those jobs to start with. That well-trodden career path of Swansea City -> relegation with Wigan Athletic -> sacked by Everton -> two jobs with realistic World Cup winning aspirantsย ย :blink:

It'd be like Sir Steve ending up at Bayern Munich, then Real Madrid after leaving us. I know we all love him, but I'm not sure that's likely to happen.

Well. Vincent Kompany ended up at Bayern Munich after doing a stellar job at Anderlecht and Burnley.

Everyone got pass marks tonight but a special mention to Craig Gordon. The mental strength of that man is almost unbelievable. Numerous setbacks in his career injury and selection wise and yet every single time he comes back and produces a performance. Surely doesn't lose his place next month now regardless of Gunns availability. That save at the end was brilliant. Even shots straight at you from that close in can be a struggle to save with next to no reaction time but his reactions were superb there.ย 

Ralston was excellent too I felt. Far more comfortable in his usual RB slot whenever he gets a game for Celtic than RWB. I can only mind him getting skinned the once off a fresh Leao near the end (might've actually been to set up the above chance) up against 2 different very good LWs. Was so unlucky aswell with that run in the 2nd half where his cross to McTominay was overhit.ย 

1 hour ago, CM. said:

Everyone got pass marks tonight but a special mention to Craig Gordon. The mental strength of that man is almost unbelievable. Numerous setbacks in his career injury and selection wise and yet every single time he comes back and produces a performance. Surely doesn't lose his place next month now regardless of Gunns availability. That save at the end was brilliant. Even shots straight at you from that close in can be a struggle to save with next to no reaction time but his reactions were superb there.ย 

Ralston was excellent too I felt. Far more comfortable in his usual RB slot whenever he gets a game for Celtic than RWB. I can only mind him getting skinned the once off a fresh Leao near the end (might've actually been to set up the above chance) up against 2 different very good LWs. Was so unlucky aswell with that run in the 2nd half where his cross to McTominay was overhit.ย 

Was fine until this point

6 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He got them to a World Cup semi-final and a Euros quarter-final, being knocked out by the eventual winners in both (France and Italy). I don't think either of those were remotely failures. The last World Cup was poor, but also I'm not sure you can legislate for Lukaku missing about 10 sitters in the second half of their last match.

True. Iโ€™m being overly harsh on him. Probably because Iโ€™ve spunked about ยฃ50 betting on them to win tournaments under him!

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Can only assume he does a really good presentation about how he plays "good football" (pass, pass, pass, pass) and folk just constantly go for it because they think if its successful for Man City it'll be successful for them.

ย 

Ronaldos been a passenger for them for a while now, IMO, but it's pretty clear he'll be playing 90 minutes every game until the next tournament exit, as he'll demand it and Martinez won't have the bottle not to do it. He wedged too many big names in at Belgium too rather than just playing the best pairings.

7 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Also as great as they were up top, their defence was mediocre at their best. Dedryck Boyata isn't going to win you a major international trophy.ย 

There were lots of players who I don't really think are good enough who stepped up in this game defensively and for that they deserve credit

Kenny McLean was excellent for the most part and won us loads of free kicks when we were escaping danger.

Souttar and Hanley both had good games and remained focused throughout.ย 

Ralston had maybe his best game for us. Nobody can fault his effort levels. A very Stephen O'Donnell performance from him.

None of these four players would make my strongest starting eleven for Scotland and in reality none of them are good enough at this level but they all stepped up vs Portugal and produced big performances and can't ask for more than that from 'squad' players.

Edited by Quentin Taranbino

4 minutes ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

There were lots of players who I don't really think are good enough who stepped up in this game defensively and for that they deserve credit

Kenny McLean was excellent for the most part and won us loads of free kicks when we were escaping danger.

Souttar and Hanley both had good games and remained focused throughout.ย 

Ralston had maybe his best game for us. Nobody can fault his effort levels. A very Stephen O'Donnell performance from him.

None of these four players would make my strongest starting eleven for Scotland and in reality none of them are good enough at this level but they all stepped up vs Portugal and produced big performances and can't ask for more than that.

Who the f**k you playing at the back if not John Souttar? I also think that's harsh on McLean, I'm no huge fan of him but he was very good in both these games and has been an important squad player for years.ย 

3 hours ago, CM. said:

Was excellent and should keep his placeย 

A few thoughts this morning.

Anthony Ralston is never going to be better than our third choice right-back, but he gave everything last night and it was notable that he got applauded round half the ground as he walked back after being substituted.

What's the centre-half pecking order now? Porteous sh*t the bed hard in Germany and there doesn't seem much to pick between Hanley, McKenna, Hendry and Souttar.

Can we really keep switching between a back 4 and a back 3/5 depending on Tierney's fitness? I love him in a back 3 because he and Andy Robertson cary a huge attacking threat when they combine up the let, and a back 3 gives him the cover to charge forward. But the lack of a consistent shape has consequences.

And on Portugal: right now, Ronaldo is, genuinely, no more effective than a peak Kris Boyd.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Who the f**k you playing at the back if not John Souttar? I also think that's harsh on McLean, I'm no huge fan of him but he was very good in both these games and has been an important squad player for years.ย 

I think Hendry and Tierney are our best centre halves (depending on formation).

I'm agreeing regarding McLean in the recent games, thats my point. I think he has stepped up as a squad player and was decent against Croatia and excellent vs Portugal but let's be real here he isn't getting into anyone's strongest eleven and I expect likely to be phased out of squad in the next couple of years.

Just now, Quentin Taranbino said:

I think Hendry and Tierney are our best centre halves (depending on formation).

I'm agreeing regarding McLean in the recent games, thats my point. I think he has stepped up as a squad player and was decent against Croatia and excellent vs Portugal but let's be real here he isn't getting into anyone's strongest eleven and I expect likely to be phased out of squad in the next couple of years.

If we're in a back 4 I don't see Tierney starting there, he's not good enough in the air. I also think Hendry isn't as good as Souttar but concede that's probably personal preference.ย 

You've got McLean or McGinn there to do that defensive job right now. Sure guys like Ferguson will likely replace him but I'd say right now McLean probably is the best suited to that role.ย 

2 hours ago, 0neTeamInGlasgow said:

Was fine until this point

Maybe my bar isn't very high especially with 1 or 2 of his previous performances but I genuinely thought he had a good game like the rest of them.

Ralston was fine last night, since he came into the team he has played against top international wingers so he hasnt had it easy, on the ball I just feel he sometimes takes an absolute eternity to decide what he is doing, he cant seem to play a ball in behind for the wide player to run into, he doesnt have a switch of play in his locker so he tends to delay, check and just play the ball back the way. The quicker we can get Paterson or Hickey back the better.

I do not get the criticism that Kenny McLean faces, I don't think he ever puts a foot wrong, he has nailed his place down next to Gilmour for now.

I thought McTominay was quiet on Saturday but more like him last night.ย