The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, donny86 said:

I blame the Astro pitches we train on at the Mick Wids

We do the majority of our training on the full size grass pitch. They only use the Astro when the grass is unplayable. Can we really blame Astro in this day and age for injurys? I doubt there's many clubs/players out there who don't regularly play or train on the stuff.

Edited by 2711

We do the majority of our training on the full size grass pitch. They only use the Astro when the grass is unplayable. Can we really blame Astro in this day and age for injurys? I doubt there's many clubs/players out there who don't regularly play or train on the stuff.

The rise in our injury problems coincides with us using this 'state of the art' facility at the Institute.

The rise in our injury problems coincides with us using this 'state of the art' facility at the Institute.

I play on that exact Astro pitch 4 times a week and I understand that the intensity of the teams training and our games are no where near the same but I doubt that pitch has anything to do with the injuries..

Sooo if you have just finished a cheese roll be careful walking round your pool and check your faulty sauna before going to bed with Miss America to watch a Nicolas Cage movie. Is that it?

lies, damned lies, and statistics." Mark Twain

Edited by rrfsee

I was hoping we could have a chat about 'atmosphere' at Starks Park. It should hopefully go without saying (but just in case) I am not trying to criticise, have a go or any thing like that - just hopefully start a productive conversation.

The driving seat of songs/atmosphere in the South Stand used to be the central area near the back - I know this is where Fife's Finest used to go and they as a group do a lot for songs/atmosphere. I don't know why the have moved (perhaps a FF member could say?) to the front of the stand. I have noticed for a while that from my vantage point near the back corner they are singing/chanting at times, but as the sound waves mostly travel forward, I, and I would guess a lot of others, can't hear it and can't join in. When songs were coming from the back it better enabled others to hear and join in etc.

I would imagine conversations about this have been had before - does anyone have any thoughts on improving the noise levels? I think having the 'choir' move to the back again would help - however of course FF are perfectly entitled to sit wherever they like! I am also aware that the players often need to lift the fans!

To answer the who cares question, I think it matters for two reasons. 1) A good and noisy atmosphere can have a significant impact performances 2) Whilst it is not for everyone, more chants/songs throughout the game improves the match-day experience and gets the fans more involved!

19 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

I was hoping we could have a chat about 'atmosphere' at Starks Park. It should hopefully go without saying (but just in case) I am not trying to criticise, have a go or any thing like that - just hopefully start a productive conversation.

The driving seat of songs/atmosphere in the South Stand used to be the central area near the back - I know this is where Fife's Finest used to go and they as a group do a lot for songs/atmosphere. I don't know why the have moved (perhaps a FF member could say?) to the front of the stand. I have noticed for a while that from my vantage point near the back corner they are singing/chanting at times, but as the sound waves mostly travel forward, I, and I would guess a lot of others, can't hear it and can't join in. When songs were coming from the back it better enabled others to hear and join in etc.

I would imagine conversations about this have been had before - does anyone have any thoughts on improving the noise levels? I think having the 'choir' move to the back again would help - however of course FF are perfectly entitled to sit wherever they like! I am also aware that the players often need to lift the fans!

To answer the who cares question, I think it matters for two reasons. 1) A good and noisy atmosphere can have a significant impact performances 2) Whilst it is not for everyone, more chants/songs throughout the game improves the match-day experience and gets the fans more involved!

Apparently the people that used to sit up the back were not FF members and that FF were always based down the front of the South Stand. I'm sure someone from FF will be able to confirm. Certainly back in our 2nd division title winning season the bulk of the atmosphere was indeed up the back of the stand. There were games you'd struggle to get a seat up that area. Those days are long gone though. Really got no idea why folk would want to sit down the lower rows of the SS, it really does give a poor view of the game imo. Not able to have any banter back and forward with opposition fans due to the distance of both stands doesn't help either. 

5 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Apparently the people that used to sit up the back were not FF members and that FF were always based down the front of the South Stand. I'm sure someone from FF will be able to confirm. Certainly back in our 2nd division title winning season the bulk of the atmosphere was indeed up the back of the stand. There were games you'd struggle to get a seat up that area. Those days are long gone though. Really got no idea why folk would want to sit down the lower rows of the SS, it really does give a poor view of the game imo. Not able to have any banter back and forward with opposition fans due to the distance of both stands doesn't help either. 

Aye that is the era I was thinking about (I sat/stood there a few years prior to that and again it was also hard to get a seat (whatever the season was we had Ramon Perreira comes to mind).

That is an interesting point re-FF (perhaps I am confusing those who stood next to FF at away games, even though they were not actually members, and sat up the back of the South Stand). So the questions is where have those that sat there gone!? Or would FF be willing to re-locate!?

11 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Aye that is the era I was thinking about (I sat/stood there a few years prior to that and again it was also hard to get a seat (whatever the season was we had Ramon Perreira comes to mind).

That is an interesting point re-FF (perhaps I am confusing those who stood next to FF at away games, even though they were not actually members, and sat up the back of the South Stand). So the questions is where have those that sat there gone!? Or would FF be willing to re-locate!?

Our crowds in general during that period seemed better as well. I'm sure we were getting 2,000+ in our end for some home games. There's numerous people I remember from that era that sat up the back that I've never seen again. I'd be surprised if they've just moved to a different part of the stand and they'll have more than likely stopped going.

Think of it this way;

• FF. Renowned as being a key group of supporters that enjoy singing. Most are pished.
  • Our away fans. Renowned as being better away from home in terms of vocal backing. Most have been out for the day and are pished.
  • Scotland fans. Renowned for being a group of supporters that create a good atmosphere. Most are pished.
  • Walking home from the pub singing. Chances are you're pished.

A lot can happen in 12 years. Ramon Pereira was pre-Anelka, 2004.

If we want the atmosphere back we need to get a team on the park that regularly wins games. Players like Pereira would help too.

Bring back the guy with the trombone.