The Falkirk FC Thread

38 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Looks like Oliver has been signed up for next season.

Wasn’t desperate to see him moved on but I do think the money could maybe have been used for another option in that position given he hasn’t been good enough to start in league 1, so I’m not convinced he’ll pull up trees a league up.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/gary-oliver-agrees-new-falkirk-32407464

Waste of a wage in my view - would much rather lose Oliver and keep Ethan Ross.  Oliver will offer absolutely nothing in the Championship.  

32 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I can see the versatility point of view but I was hoping McGlynn would have been more ruthless than that.

McGlynn is usually pretty loyal with his players, occasionally too loyal.

Edited by Enigma

I think after his recruitment this season, he deserves to sign who he thinks will do a job tbh as he hasn’t wasted a single £ this season in terms of who he’s kept on last year or signed in both windows. In John we trust & get the naked calendars bought 😂

2 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

I think after his recruitment this season, he deserves to sign who he thinks will do a job tbh as he hasn’t wasted a single £ this season in terms of who he’s kept on last year or signed in both windows. In John we trust & get the naked calendars bought 😂

@gav-ffc knew all along.

IMG_8472.jpeg

I'm happy enough with Oliver singing up. He's never been the most prolific but he's got plenty of championship experience with hearts, queens and Morton so should be good for the squad. 

54 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Looks like Oliver has been signed up for next season.

Wasn’t desperate to see him moved on but I do think the money could maybe have been used for another option in that position given he hasn’t been good enough to start in league 1, so I’m not convinced he’ll pull up trees a league up.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/gary-oliver-agrees-new-falkirk-32407464

I’m suprised the club haven’t announced this 

It’s a good idea but we need to wait and see if it pays off next season 

no more than back up to nesbitt or whoever we end up in that 10 role as that’s his better position and not as a striker despite him having scored a few good goals for us

Fairly happy with Gary Goals signing up for us for next season. Certainly think he'll do a job as a squad player and coming off the bench. Hoping he will have a similar impact on Championship games like McHugh did for us towards the end of the 15/16 season and score plenty of late winners

Thought the McManus appearance on Falkirk Daft was great. Have very fond memories of him during his second spell at Falkirk. 

I think it also shows that Presley doesn’t get enough recognition for what he did at the club during a horrendous financial situation. The 11/12 season where all our youth players made up most of the squad is actually one of the best seasons I can remember being a fan. Presley did do amazingly well to get us 3rd and recruited very well with the limited resources he had. 

17 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

Thought the McManus appearance on Falkirk Daft was great. Have very fond memories of him during his second spell at Falkirk. 

I think it also shows that Presley doesn’t get enough recognition for what he did at the club during a horrendous financial situation. The 11/12 season where all our youth players made up most of the squad is actually one of the best seasons I can remember being a fan. Presley did do amazingly well to get us 3rd and recruited very well with the limited resources he had. 

He signed some real shockers though when he was here.  We might have actually challenged for promotion one season if he'd a similar recruitment ability to the current incumbent. Unfortunately though signed a lot  more diddies than successes in his time here . Medi khalis, Jason marr, Ross perry, Jordan white,Iain Flannagan, Andy Haworth and Chris smith  to name but a few off the top of my head.

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

He signed some real shockers though when he was here.  We might have actually challenged for promotion one season if he'd a similar recruitment ability to the current incumbent. Unfortunately though signed a lot  more diddies than successes in his time here . Medi khalis, Jason marr, Ross perry, Jordan white,Iain Flannagan, Andy Haworth to name but a few off the top of my head.

Not listened to it yet, I enjoyed Presley’s time at us.

Also Jordan White has done ok, wouldn’t say he was a diddy.

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

What a story from Tam McManus about big Elvis by the way. What a gentleman.

That`s a side to him that not many knew about. The season after he left we were in the play-offs and he attended the game at Hamilton. After the match I was walking through the car park to the team bus and he was getting into a car about 50 yds away. He must have spied me and got out the car and walked the 50 yds up the car park to shake my hand and ask how I was doing. It was one of those moments where, as he was approaching, you turn round to see if there`s somebody behind you that he`s heading for.😂 A mark of the man.

I can also confirm his dislike for Jack Compton, I was at training the day he absolutely roasted him in front of everyone and ordered him off the training pitch. Had never witnessed that happen to a player before...or since.

2 minutes ago, Sarcastic Bairn said:

Not listened to it yet, I enjoyed Presley’s time at us.

Also Jordan White has done ok, wouldn’t say he was a diddy.

I've scored as many goals for Falkirk as he has . He was hopeless for us and that's all that matters. Pressley should never have been kept on after his dreadful attempt to keep us up. We only needed one win after the split and he couldn't even manage that. Kilmarnock were in freefall yet pressleys record in the run in was horrific. Made his promise that we wouldn't go down even more embarrassing. His signings apart from the odd gem here and there were rotten. He should never have lasted as long as he did.

Hmm. I get the continuity thing and he’s been a useful player, but he’s one that I don’t think has ever really stood out at League One level and I can’t help but think it’s a wage who could have gone on someone a bit better tbh. Not too fussed as he has his uses but … meh.

37 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

I've scored as many goals for Falkirk as he has . He was hopeless for us and that's all that matters. Pressley should never have been kept on after his dreadful attempt to keep us up. We only needed one win after the split and he couldn't even manage that. Kilmarnock were in freefall yet pressleys record in the run in was horrific. Made his promise that we wouldn't go down even more embarrassing. His signings apart from the odd gem here and there were rotten. He should never have lasted as long as he did.

Also had our golden generation of the academy to pick from as well. 

Gary Oliver is very good at what he does and offers something different in the number 10 role. His hold up play is excellent and he hardly ever wastes the ball and is a very useful option off the bench. He's not a striker which was why he wasn't used correctly last season but the role he's played this season mainly off the bench has been huge. There will probably be more games next season where we need the ball to stick in more advanced areas and he's perfect for that.

Wouldn't imagine he'll be on huge wages so likely a cost effective contract for an effective player.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Seems to be dividing opinion, but I personally think he's a useful option and every single team needs that one player who can come off the bench and score a late goal. He's made quite a habit of it this season and I'm happy he's staying on. I'm still holding out hope, even if it is a fool's hope, that Scott Arfield will come home, which would then surely make Gary a distant third choice in the number 10 role.