The New Raith Rovers Thread

Problem is the standard will most likely be higher next season than it has been since weve been back in this league. We need to be looking for a proven goalscorer rather than someone who may or may not turn out to be a good striker

I think as a back up Glen would be an okay signing, he would be dropping down to an easier league and would most likely be our 4th choice striker behind Elliott, Spence and AN other, that said if GM is planning on starting him Id be slightly concered about lack of goals.

Can I ask why Gary Glen is invoking such antipathy?

As others have said, he's just a bit uninspiring. He's 24 now, and he's only scored eight goals in his career, in over a hundred games. Of course most of those have been from the bench, and all at a higher level, but it seems significant that through his poor injury record and poorer scoring form, he's never been able to get a real consistent run of games and proven that he's "got what it takes". This season just gone, Gordon Smith (who was comfortably our poorest performing striker, certainly goals-wise) scored more goals for us than Gary Glen has since the summer of 2008.

Believe me, if he signs for us, I'll find it a lot easier to put a positive spin on some aspects of his history, but at this moment in time I hope I don't have to.

I was hoping we'd be bringing in two strikers (or one great one) to go ahead of Greig Spence in the pecking order (if he does indeed re-sign) but I can't see Glen doing that.

As an interesting aside, Gary Glen has only ever been sent off once in his career; for kicking Craig Barr, our new centre half.

McGurn is challenger for a slot in the top 5 Rovs ever alongside (in no particular order) Brewster, James, Baxter, McDermott & McNaught.

Ok, possibly a slight exaggeration but defo our best player in at least the last decade/15 years. Press release says he'll be back playing in July = great Friday news.

McGlynn's decision to drop him for floppy gloves during the 2010/2011 season run in ruined the aforementioned manager's otherwise flawless record - WTF was he thinking?

McGurn is challenger for a slot in the top 5 Rovs ever alongside (in no particular order) Brewster, James, Baxter, McDermott & McNaught.

Ok, possibly a slight exaggeration but defo our best player in at least the last decade/15 years. Press release says he'll be back playing in July = great Friday news.

McGlynn's decision to drop him for floppy gloves during the 2010/2011 season run in ruined the aforementioned manager's otherwise flawless record - WTF was he thinking?

I heard that McGurn was dropped due to a reluctance to go full time. Wee tiff with McGlynn: Benched.

Probably a massive load of rubbish but not completely outwith the realms of possibility.

I think that was mcgurns only mistake that season in the Falkirk game and if remember right Ellis was partly at fault at the time?

McNeil was training full time and had been with us the season before when he played at Montrose so I reckon he had been in McGlynns ear about his shot

I heard that McGurn was dropped due to a reluctance to go full time. Wee tiff with McGlynn: Benched.

Probably a massive load of rubbish but not completely outwith the realms of possibility.

My gut feeling has always been that McGlynn was feeling the pressure of the run-in, understandably, and he had a choice between the keeper who was there every day, and the one who was only in twice a week. Knowing how meticulous he could be, I'm sure there were things occurring to him all the time that he wanted his goalie to know, and McGurn just wasn't there often enough for his liking.

Andy McNeil is, for want of a better term, a bottler. When you look at the clubs he's been at, and the teams he's found after being released, he must train well and trial well. He's always been a competent shot-stopper, and I imagine in training he does everything right; claims high balls, commands his box, doesn't pick up fucking passbacks from Stephen fucking Simmons, but when the pin hits the shell and he's out there at 3 o'clock on a Saturday with real opposition and a stand full (well, half full...) of supporters behind him, his bowels and his brain indulge in a race to see who can turn to water first.

Dropping Dave McGurn for Andy McNeil was the single greatest error in John McGlynn's time at Stark's Park. I'm still not convinced we would've won the league that season - Dunfermline had a better side than us, and we punched well above our weight as it was - but if we'd beaten them in that crucial game at East End Park, where Andy McNeil's bad judgement and visible lack of confidence gave them encouragement from the very beginning, then anything could've happened.

After that game at East End Park, a boy was arguing with folk in the boozer that McGurn was no better than McNeil.

His evidence for this was based on the fact that he said that McGurn had cost us the league that day by letting in 2 poor goals after coming on at half-time.

It was only after it was pointed out to him by a few folk that McNeil had simply come out wearing a different coloured top that he relented.

I hope the boy never had to identify someone in an identity parade.